Caramel Chocolate Matzo Crunch
4 sheets matzo
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into a few large pieces
½ cup packed light brown sugar
A big pinch of sea salt or kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
1 cup toasted chopped almonds, pecans, walnuts or a nut of your choice (optional)
Extra sea salt for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 11-by-17-inch baking sheet completely with foil, and then line the base of the foil with parchment paper, cut to fit.
- Line the bottom of the baking sheet with matzo covering all parts – break pieces to fit any extra spaces
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar together, and stir it over medium heat until it begins to boil. Once it has begun boiling, let it bubble for three more minutes, stirring it well. It will thicken a bit as it cooks.
- Remove from the heat and add the salt and vanilla, and then quickly pour it over the matzo. You’ll want to spread it quickly, as it will begin to set as soon as it is poured.
- Bake the caramel covered matzo for 15 minutes, checking after 10 minutes to make sure the corners don’t burn.
- Remove from oven and immediately cover with chocolate chips. Let stand five minutes to melt, and then spread them evenly across the caramel.
- If you’re using them, sprinkle the chocolate with toasted chopped nuts and/or a touch of sea salt.
- Once completely cool (place in fridge to speed up the process) break it into pieces.
Leave a Reply